Mmm, Chicken Cordon Bleu soup was my favorite new recipe that I discovered while testing different flavor combinations for the 30-Day Soup Challenge Cookbook. Like all my recipes, this soup is quick and easy and absolutely delicious! This particular soup is low carb and suitable for the keto diet.
CHICKEN CORDON BLEU SOUP
- 4 tablespoons butter ghee, or olive oil
- 1/2 large onion chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 teaspoon Xanthan gum optional, to thicken the soup
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups cooked and cubed ham
- 2 cups shredded chicken cooked
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley or 1 tablespoon fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 2 cups 8 oz. Swiss cheese shredded
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Sprig of fresh thyme for garnish optional
In a stock pot or Instant Pot using the Saute function, melt butter over medium heat. Add chopped onions and cook until soft, about 10 minutes.
Add in chopped carrots, celery, garlic, and optional Xanthan gum and cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and scraping the bottom of the pan as you stir.
Add in broth and bring up to a boil. Turn down to simmer and cook, covered, for about 10 minutes or until carrots are soft.
Turn heat down to medium low and add in the half and half, cubed ham, shredded chicken, dijon mustard, parsley, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Heat until half and half is warm, about 10 minutes.
5 minutes before serving stir in swiss cheese, about 1/4 cup at a time, reserving some for garnish if desired. Add salt and pepper to taste, serve, and enjoy!
8 g net carbs per serving