Sometimes honey is too overpowering for a recipe, or you can’t find an economical source of honey to use in your baking. In that case, use date paste! This sweet, slightly fruity, liquid sweetner is a great addition to any of your paleo or GAPS baked goods.
- 2 cups dates, pitted (find here)
- 1 cup water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Heat water until it's hot.
- Remove pits from dates if needed.
- Cover dates with warm water and lemon juice (water just needs to be above the dates to allow them all to soak) and allow to soak for 10 minutes or longer.
- Drain liquid, but reserve to add as needed when you are pureeing.
- Puree all ingredients in a blender or with an immersion blender, adding reserved liquid as needed to form a honey-like consistency that is smooth.
- Store covered in the fridge for up to 10 days.
This recipe is part of the Grain Free Meal Plans that are in my Gut-Healing Starter Pack- I remind you (and myself- I use these too!) to make this regularly so it’s always on hand for your baked goods and to top your pancakes with.
See it in a recipe: