This elk meatloaf uses applesauce to tenderize the elk meat. It is sure to soon be a family favorite! I like to serve this with homemade mashed potatoes and sauteed green beans. The leftovers are fantastic, so I’ll often make this on Sunday nights before busy weeks.
- 1 cup apple sauce divided
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 pounds ground elk meat
- 1 stalk celery finely diced
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar or other natural sweetener
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350* F and grease a pan.
- Combine bread crumbs, half the apple sauce, onion, salt and pepper, mustard, eggs, and elk. Throughly combine.
- Shape into a loaf size, in a 8×8 or 9×13 pan, greased. Press an indentation in the top to fill with the sugar-applesauce mixture.
- Combine the sugar or other sweetener, and other half the apple sauce along with a squirt of mustard and vinegar. Pour sugar mixture in the indentation in the elk meat.
- Bake for 1 hour.
Keto: Use erythritol in place of the sugar and pureed onion in place of the applesauce.