Rich with stock, kale, onions, carrots, and white beans, this soup feels so good in your tummy and on your pocketbook. Simple seasonings of salt and pepper, and a little lemon at the end bring out the bright flavor of kale and the richness of the white beans.
We welcomed the new year with this soup (legumes and carrot coins are thought to bring luck!) and I think you’ll enjoy doing the same.
Parmesan crisps can be made by baking 1-teaspoon piles of parmesan cheese on parchment 3 inches apart, for about 5 minutes for 350* F. Recipe coming soon. Or you can purchase here.
- ½ pound small white beans (navy beans), covered in filtered water and soaked overnight
- 1 quart water
- 1 quart chicken or beef stock (buy organic stock here)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 slice bacon (find sugar-free bacon here)
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 carrots
- ½ pound kale
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- ½ small lemon, juiced
- Drain beans and place in the pot of the Instant Pot, or alternatively a medium stock pot.
- Add water and stock to the beans, set valve to seal, and cook on Manual - 30 minutes.
Stovetop: Bring to a boil, cover, and then reduce to a simmer over medium-low heat on the stove top for 1 hour, or until beans are soft, adding a pinch of baking soda if the beans haven't started to soften after 1 hour.
- Allow pressure to come down naturally, then remove lid and set to Saute - Medium to continue simmering the beans.
- As the pressure is releasing naturally, you will start your bacon and veggies.
- Chop bacon into ½ inch pieces.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute bacon until crispy, 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- As the bacon cooks, chop onion.
- Remove bacon pieces and reserve to top soup. Cook chopped onion in the bacon grease, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, scrub and slice carrots into ¼ inch coins, discarding ends. Add chopped carrots to the onion, and continue cooking over medium heat for 5 more minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- By now your pressure should have released naturally in your Instant Pot, if not, use quick release valve. Remove lid and add 1 teaspoon sea salt, and cooked onion and carrot to the Instant Pot, and continue simmering using the Saute function.
Stovetop: Once the beans are soft, reduce heat to medium-low and remove lid, and continue as directed.
- Simmer the beans, stock, salt, onions, and carrots for about 15 minutes longer. During this time, remove tough ribs from kale and chop into ½ inch or smaller pieces.
- Add kale 10 minutes before serving and stir in.
- Stir in pepper and adjust to taste. Adjust salt to taste.
- Right before serving, stir in the juice of ½ a lemon.
- Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
5 Delicious Keto FatBombs
Sign up to get my 5 Best Keto Fatbomb Recipes sent right to your inbox! Plus a bonus pizza recipe :)