These fried cheese sticks are ridiculously good. If you have been trying to convince friends or family that real food can taste good too- these will do it!
They are simple to make, but because deep frying is messy and uses up quite a bit of oil, do them when you have a crowd over to feed to make best use of the oil. These are another recipe from my Grain Free Meal Plan- they are both grain and gluten free.
Homemade Fried Cheese Sticks
- 12 cheese sticks: Monterey Jack Cheese is recommended for the GAPS and SCD diets Mozzarella (string cheese) would work well too
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 cups expeller pressed coconut oil
- A few hours or more before put cheese sticks in the freezer. You can cut your own sticks from a large block of cheese, or purchase pre-wrapped string cheese or cheese sticks. If using string cheese, cut in half crosswise. When ready to make the fried cheese sticks, heat the oil over medium heat in as small of a sauce pan as you can fit the cheese sticks in. Using a small pan allows the oil to be deeper.
- In a shallow bowl or dish mix almond flour with Italian Seasoning. Lightly beat eggs in another shallow dish. Take frozen cheese sticks out and dip 1 to 3 at a time in the egg, allow egg to drip off, and then roll in the almond flour mixture until well covered. Drop into the hot oil and fry for 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown. The cheese sticks will likely float to the top of the oil at this time. Remove from oil and drain on a plate. Serve with homemade ranch dressing, red sauce, or barbeque sauce.
Nutrition facts assume 1/2 cup of the oil is absorbed by the mozarella sticks during frying.
This month's ebook!
Sign up to get the 20 Cool Treats sent to your email right away!