The magic ingredient in making this ramen low carb is Miracle Noodles! Miracle noodles are a ‘noodle’ made of soluble fiber. This fiber is from a root vegetable, konnyaku imo, which is a yam-like plant native to asia. The fiber is made into flour, soaked in a lime solution, and then can be made into very low calorie, low net carb, noodle!
GAPS and SCD
Because Miracle noodles are made with polysaccarides, they are not appropriate for the GAPS or Specific Carbohydrate Diets. Kelp noodles may be a more appropriate choice for those on the GAPS diet, but even kelp is not recommended until digestive issues have passed. Seaweed, including kelp, is illegal on SCD (source).
If you can eat them, these miracle noodles are a delicious low-carb version of ramen that is full of nourishing amino acids from the broth and egg, and so fun to eat!
Low Carb Ramen with Shrimp
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or other cooking fat
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 inch fresh garlic grated
- 1/2 pound wild-caught shrimp deveined and peeled, optional
- 1/4 cup tamari GAPS: use coconut aminos or double fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce see note
- 3 cups broth
- 1 cup water
- Salt to taste about 1 teaspoon if broth is unsalted
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 packages miracle noodles GAPS: Kelp noodles and see note
- 3 carrots peeled into ribbons or shredded
- 1 cup kale sliced, ribs removed
- chili oil or sesame oil optional
- 3 nori sheets cut into thin strips, optional
- 6 eggs soft boiled
- 6 green onions sliced, white and light green parts only
Pour cooking fat into small stock pot or in the instant pot on saute mode, medium heat. Add garlic and ginger.
Add in shrimp after the garlic and ginger, stirring to coat them in the flavorful ginger and garlic. Add in tamari and fish sauce.
Add in broth, water, and salt and increase heat to medium-high until broth starts to simmer, then lower it to medium-low and keep it at a simmer. As the broth heats, rinse and then slice mushrooms. Add mushrooms to simmering broth.
In a separate saucepan, bring about 6 cups of water to a boil for the soft-boiled eggs. Once boiling, gently add eggs, and boil for 6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and plunge into cold water until the rest of the soup is ready.
As the eggs boil and soup simmers, rinse miracle noodles in cold water. Use scissors to cut noodles to desired length. Once well rinsed and cut, add to simmering soup and simmer for at least 10 minutes.
To serve, use tongs to place miracle noodles in a bowl, then top with broth by ladling it over the noodles. Peel and slice an egg in half and place that in the bowl. Add sea weed strips, green onions, and shaved carrots as desired. Top with sesame oil and/or additional tamari to taste. Enjoy!