Broccoli Ham and Cheese Soup is a filling and delicious meal. This yummy soup is made quickly using frozen broccoli and pre-cooked ham. The cheese and bacon bit toppings add a fun sprinkle to this soup, and leftovers are delicious packed in thermoses the next day!
This soup is difficult to make GAPS-friendly as you cannot have ham, cream cheese, cream, or Xanthan gum on the GAPS diet. I recommend trying any of these GAPS-friendly soups in its place:
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup (keto, GAPS, dairy-free option)
- Low Carb Taco Soup (Keto, GAPS)
- Low Carb Pumpkin Soup with Pork Sausage (Keto, GAPS, Dairy Optional)
This recipe is in the 30-Day Soup Challenge Cookbook! Thousands have taken my yearly 30-Day Soup Challenge (sign up here) and have requested a cookbook to reference off the computer. We’ve gotcha covered!
Find over 40 delicious gluten-free (many keto friendly and many GAPS friendly) and boost your immune system, watch your skin glows, sleep better, and slash your grocery bill in the process- just by including homemade soup once a week for a month this fall or winter.
Broccoli Ham and Cheese Soup (keto and low carb)
This rich soup is a delicious warming meal in a bowl. With bright broccoli, creamy cheese, hearty ham, and nourishing broth, you're going to be set for whatever cold weather comes your way!
- 5 pieces bacon
- 1 each onion small, white or yellow
- 3 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 3 cups chicken broth easy recipe here Beef broth okay too
- 3 cups broccoli approx 12 oz, frozen is fine
- 2 ounces cream cheese 2 ounces = 1/4 block
- 1.5 cups cream heavy whipping cream or half and half, nutrition uses heavy cream
- 3 cups chopped ham approx 12 oz
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon sea salt if using unsalted broth; if using salted broth, adjust salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated; plus an additional cup to garnish if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon Xanthan gum optional, but helps thicken
In a stock pot over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Set bacon aside, leaving grease in the pot. As the bacon cooks, chop onion.
Add chopped onion and crushed garlic to bacon grease on medium heat. Saute until the onion is soft, about 10 minutes.
Add in the broth, broccoli, and spices and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Reduce heat to low and wait for bubbles to stop. Add in the cream and ham.
Slowly add in cheese in 1/4 cup-fulls, stirring continually, still over low heat.
If using Xanthan gum, sprinkle over the top, allow to sit for 1 minute, and then stir in.
Chop reserved bacon. Serve soup and top with chopped bacon and optional extra shredded cheese. Enjoy!
Leftovers can be kept covered in the fridge for up to 1 week. To freeze, follow instructions in 'notes' section.
To prep this soup for the freezer: The cream cheese and melted cheese will clump together if frozen and then reheated. SO, to prep for the freezer, stop when you add in the broccoli and cool. Make two 'soup packs' that go together: One with the onions, broth, broccoli, and seasonings and another with the ham, cream, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese. Bacon can be packaged separately to garnish or added to the cheese pack. To reheat, bring the broccoli-broth mixture to a simmer, and slowly add in cheese pack, stirring constantly over medium heat. Enjoy!