Broccoli Ham and Cheese Soup is a filling and delicious meal. This yummy soup is made quickly using frozen broccoli and pre-cooked ham. The cheese and bacon bit toppings add a fun sprinkle to this soup, and leftovers are delicious packed in thermoses the next day!
This soup is really hearty on its own, but Egg-Free Dairy-Free Keto Rolls or Classic Flakey Biscuits (not keto) are perfect side dishes.
This soup is difficult to make GAPS-friendly as you cannot have ham, cream cheese, cream, or Xanthan gum on the GAPS diet. I recommend trying any of these GAPS-friendly soups in its place:
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup (keto, GAPS, dairy-free option)
- Low Carb Taco Soup (Keto, GAPS)
- Low Carb Pumpkin Soup with Pork Sausage (Keto, GAPS, Dairy Optional)
Broccoli Ham and Cheese Soup (keto and low carb)
This rich soup is a delicious warming meal in a bowl. With bright broccoli, creamy cheese, hearty ham, and nourishing broth, you're going to be set for whatever cold weather comes your way!
- 5 pieces bacon
- 1 each onion small, white or yellow
- 3 cloves garlic minced or crushed
- 3 cups chicken broth easy recipe here Beef broth okay too
- 3 cups broccoli approx 12 oz, frozen is fine
- 2 ounces cream cheese 2 ounces = 1/4 block
- 1.5 cups cream heavy whipping cream or half and half, nutrition uses heavy cream
- 3 cups chopped ham approx 12 oz
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon sea salt if using unsalted broth; if using salted broth, adjust salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups cheddar cheese grated; plus an additional cup to garnish if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon Xanthan gum optional, but helps thicken
In a stock pot over medium heat, cook bacon until crisp. Set bacon aside, leaving grease in the pot. As the bacon cooks, chop onion.
Add chopped onion and crushed garlic to bacon grease on medium heat. Saute until the onion is soft, about 10 minutes.
Add in the broth, broccoli, and spices and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Reduce heat to low and wait for bubbles to stop. Add in the cream and ham.
Slowly add in cheese in 1/4 cup-fulls, stirring continually, still over low heat.
If using Xanthan gum, sprinkle over the top, allow to sit for 1 minute, and then stir in.
Chop reserved bacon. Serve soup and top with chopped bacon and optional extra shredded cheese. Enjoy!
Leftovers can be kept covered in the fridge for up to 1 week. To freeze, follow instructions in 'notes' section.
To prep this soup for the freezer: The cream cheese and melted cheese will clump together if frozen and then reheated. SO, to prep for the freezer, stop when you add in the broccoli and cool. Make two 'soup packs' that go together: One with the onions, broth, broccoli, and seasonings and another with the ham, cream, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese. Bacon can be packaged separately to garnish or added to the cheese pack. To reheat, bring the broccoli-broth mixture to a simmer, and slowly add in cheese pack, stirring constantly over medium heat. Enjoy!
It’s so yummy. Thanks for recipes. Rate 5 stars..
Great recipes.Can’t wait to try this ! thanks
This soup was delish! Definitely hit the spot tonight. I didn’t use bacon because I was in a hurry. I sauteed the ham in coconut oil and also didn’t use onion (the man just can’t do it). I defrosted frozen broccoli, adjusted the spices a little and added a bit more xanthan gum. Otherwise, followed the recipe exactly. Will definitely make this one again. Thank you!