The classic version of this casserole contains rice and cream of something soup,… we’ve removed the grains and the food additives, and remade this into a cheesy low-carb treat! Yes, you can double this recipe and tuck an extra keto broccoli chicken casserole in your freezer!
The secret flavor is… Nutmeg! Nutmeg, like in our broccoli cheddar soup, brings warmth and a subtle flavor that goes so well with cheese and broccoli. However, nutmeg is big on flavor and can be overpowering, so just put in the tiniest amount.
This recipe is from Wednesday’s dinner in our Keto Family Class’s Comfort Food Menu, and is a favorite at our house as well.
Keto Broccoli Chicken Casserole
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or 1/4 cup white wine
- 2 pounds broccoli or broccoli/cauliflower combination
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese grated
- 1 tablespoon dried onion
- 1/2 pinch nutmeg just a tiny bit- less than 1/8 tsp
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese optional
- 1 cup pork rinds crushed, optional
- Cooking spray or more butter to grease casserole dish
- Preheat oven to 375*
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium high heat. Once butter is melted, add chicken and brown for 3-4 minutes on each side. Remove chicken and set aside to cool. Add apple cider vinegar or white wine to pan and deglaze, scraping off the browned bits with a wooden spoon. Reduce heat to medium low and add cream cheese, cheddar cheese, dried onion, nutmeg, black pepper, sea salt, and parmesan cheese.
- Stir until cream cheese has softened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add in chopped broccoli or broccoli/cauliflower combination and stir. Set aside. Cut now-cooled chicken into bite-sized pieces and add to the broccoli/cheese mixture and mix in.
- Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray or grease with butter or coconut oil and pour in the broccoli/cheese/chicken mixture. Crush pork rinds in a bag with a rolling pin and sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until hot all the way through. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.