Keto “Mac” N Cheese is a delicious comfort food that is made with cauliflower instead of macaroni. Make the cheese sauce by melting cream cheese into heavy cream and then adding shredded cheddar. This recipe produces the most smooth cheese sauce when we grate from a block of cheddar rather than using pre-grated cheese.
Pre-shredded cheese nearly always contains some kind of anti-caking agent like cellulose (sawdust) fiber or potato starch that can make the sauce clumpy or gritty. In the case of starch, the carb count is raised.
This keto cauliflower mac n cheese is a great side dish alongside bunless hamburgers, steak, turkey or chicken, or any other protein-rich dish. I especially like this comforting keto side dish with steak or shredded pork.
Keto Cauliflower Mac n Cheese Casserole
- 2 pounds cauliflower; 1 large head of 2 pound frozen
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces cheddar shredded, divided
- 1/4 cup water as needed to thin
- cooking spray or butter to grease pan
- If using frozen cauliflower, allow to thaw and drain any excess water before making the recipe. If using fresh cauliflower, cut florets into bite-sized pieces and steam by placing in a large saucepan (or small stock pot) with 1 cup of water, covered with a lid, and boiling the water for 5 minutes, or until cauliflower is soft. Drain.
- In a medium saucepan, heat heavy cream over medium heat and add in the cream cheese. Stir with a whisk until cream cheese is melted. As the cream cheese melts, shred the cheddar cheese.
Once cream cheese is melted, stir in 1/4 of the cheese at a time, continuing to stir, melting completely before adding in more cheese. If desired, reserve 1/4 of the cheese to top the casserole. Use up to 1/4 water as needed to thin.
- Preheat oven to 375* and prepare a 8x8 or 8x10 pan by greasing with butter or spraying with cooking spray.
In a large mixing bowl, place drained cauliflower and cover with the cheese sauce. Stir gently with a large spoon. Pour the cauliflower-cheese mixture into the prepared pan to bake.
Bake uncovered for 25 minutes, or until heated through and starting to turn golden brown around the edges. Enjoy!
This dish is delicious re-heated as well.