After all the health issue posts lately, which are a little bit stressful to write, but are much needed, I found myself wanting to just talk about cake.
So cake it is today. A delicious GAPS-friendly carrot cake cupcake brimming with carrots, and all the other goodies that were in my cousin Tori’s family-famous carrot cake. Hers was a 3-layer hefty cake that sat atop an heirloom cake plate on my parent’s kitchen counter at every family reunion. I chose to make cupcakes instead, as they are so easy to portion out to hungry children and pack in school lunches for a special treat.
This recipe is adapted from Carrie of Deliciously Organic‘s post on Nourished Kitchen: Organic Grain-Free Carrot Cupcakes. Be sure to click on over to that recipe to read Carrie’s amazing health recovery that she achieved by eating real food recipes just like this one. I altered the frosting a bit to make it GAPS-legal, and added my favorite additions to the batter: Coconut, pineapple, and raisins.
In true carrot-cake form, this makes a sizeable amount – 24 hefty cupcakes are made from this recipe.
They’re so good that they’ll still be gone in no time.
Grain Free Carrot Cake with Pineapple, Coconut, and Raisins
- 2 cups almond flour buy almond flour here
- 1/2 cup coconut flour buy coconut flour here
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt buy sea salt here
- 1 pound carrots shredded (I use this food processor)
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup honey buy honey here
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple or diced fresh pineapple
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup coconut oil melted (buy coconut oil here)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or SCD yogurt
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375*. Mix the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, salt, and carrots until combined. Gently stir in all at once: Eggs, honey, pineapple, raisins, melted coconut oil, coconut milk and apple cider vinegar. It's okay if there are a few lumps.
- Line two muffin pans with nonstick muffin cups. Fill muffin cups evenly, 3/4 full.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until set in the middle, a knife inserted into the center comes out clean, and the edges are turning brown.
- Cool before frosting.
For the frosting:
In a food processor, or with a mixer, mix all ingredients until smooth. Chill to firm up if needed before frosting cupcakes.
Makes 24 cupcakes
5 Delicious Keto FatBombs
Sign up to get my 5 Best Keto Fatbomb Recipes sent right to your inbox! Plus a bonus pizza recipe :)