Lead and Arsenic in our soil and water supply. Mercury in the oceans and fish. Aluminium in the brains of patients with Alzheimer’s. Heavy metals are known carcinogens (cancer causing) and even a small amount above acceptable exposure can quickly cause multi-organ failure.
We know that heavy metals are serious business and are cautious. we take care to avoid overexposure to heavy metals with water treatment, careful removal of lead-containing paint, and care used with products that contain mercury and lead, especially around children and pregnant women.
Skip ahead to different parts of the article:
- What is TRS?
- What are the ingredients in TRS?
- What are studies showing about the use of TRS?
- How do you take TRS?
- Where do you buy TRS?
Heavy Metal Exposure
Even taking care to not overexpose ourselves to heavy metals, we all get exposed to a certain extent.
There are heavy metals that occur naturally in soil, and we get accidental exposure from pollution, pesticides, batteries, waste that isn’t properly disposed of, some medicines, cosmetics, and improperly coated food storage containers. (1)
Our Detoxification Systems
For most people, the body can efficiently detoxify minor exposure to heavy metals. Our bodies are well-buit with multiple organs used for detoxification including the lungs, kidneys, liver, and gut (2, 3), and even the skin as it sweats (4).
The problem comes when one of these systems breaks down – if our detoxification system is compromised, OR we are over-exposed, our bodies can contain enough heavy metals to cause problems in multiple organ systems, or even mysterious illnesses (5) and chronic conditions that don’t resolve.
Over exposure to heavy metals, especially lead, in young children is such a risk that children are routinely screened for lead to make sure exposure doesn’t cause developmental concerns. (6)
How does poor gut health contribute to heavy metal buildup?
Gut health and heavy metals are a bit of a chicken and an egg scenario.
Poor gut health (often from antibiotic overuse, inflammation, or pathogenic gut flora) causes an inflamed gut that doesn’t detoxify as well as it should. When the gut isn’t working properly, our detoxification system isn’t working properly, and a buildup of toxins can happen. This is often why people with digestive issues also have chemical sensitivities, and why kids with autism often have many chemical allergies.
On the other hand, heavy metals damage the gut, causing overgrowth of pathogenic flora (7) that then colonizes the gut.
This overgrowth of pathogenic flora can cause all sorts of problems such as:
- Unexplained pain
- Brain fog
- Impulsive behavior
- Chronic fatigue
- Frequent yeast infections and rashes
- Gut inflammation and opportunity for more pathogenic flora to colonize (8)
That is on top of the potential problems that arise when heavy metals are too high in the body (9):
- Abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea
- Heart abnormalities
- Nervous system symptoms (numbness, tingling of hands and feet, and weakness)
- Anemia (a classic symptom of chronic metal exposure)
- Kidney damage
- Liver damage
- Lung irritation, or fluid accumulation (edema)
- Brain dysfunction such as memory loss
- Horizontal lines on the nails
- Changes in behavior
- Malformed bones in children, or weakened bones
- Miscarriage or premature labor in pregnant women
MTHFR genes mean you’re more sensitive to mercury
We’ve talked about MTHFR and how MTHFR relates to folic acid in the past, and how it’s linked with autism and may be ‘the autism gene’ they are looking for. But another part to the MTHFR gene mutation is that it is linked with a ‘hyper sensitivity to mercury’ (source) and possibly other heavy metals.
What do we do about heavy metals and associated candida?
- Attention to food is a must. Nutrition needs to go up, and inflammatory foods need to go down. Our digestive tract is such an important part of our detoxification system, and may have been colonized with candida and inflamed because of that. I have talked extensively about healing the gut with the GAPS diet, and I still wholeheartedly recommend that as a first step.
- Reducing exposure to toxins is also a must for people already battling excess toxins in their own body. Natural mattresses, water filters, air purification, clean cosmetics and body care products are very important to keep from adding fuel to the fire.
- Adding a heavy metal chelator may be an addition that provides a needed boost to kick heavy metals out and allow the gut to calm down. I use Advanced TRS for this for my whole family.
Chelators in addition to food and toxin reduction – what we’ve done
Chelators aren’t all the same. Some parents choose chemical chelation, but I wasn’t comfortable (or honestly, able to afford) that route when we were doing autism recovery. This past spring I kept hearing about Advanced TRS from some of my readers and friends who had done the GAPS diet.
** I use the terms TRS and clinoptilolite and Advanced TRS interchangeably in this article. Advanced TRS is the brand that I use and prefer. TRS is kind of shorthand and clinoptilolite is the actual molecule we are talking about.
I looked into TRS, and was a little skeptical that it would work (afterall, we have done a LOT of gut healing and detoxification through diet!). I was comfortable with the safety and ingredients, and tried it on myself first for a week. I didn’t see a difference.
But since I also didn’t see a problem when using Advanced TRS, I tried it with my daughter (special needs) and DID notice that impulsive/compulsive behaviors that she sometimes struggles with absolutely were diminished with even one spray a day. When I would stop the daily spray, her symptoms would return.
These symptoms are classic for kids with yeast overgrowth. I’ve always known that if she’s really impulsive and acting almost manic/over excited, she needs to go to the bathroom to have a BM. This is because the yeast in her GI tract are too prevalent, and causing mood/behavior issues.
Later, after I cleaned up my diet again for the fall, I tried TRS again and started getting detoxification symptoms right away. I’m excited to see what it does for me now. I asked my friend Jeannie who is experienced with TRS, and she says that happens sometimes, if you push your body toward healing by cleaning up your diet, TRS can be even more effective.
Thankfully Advanced TRS is an easy, relatively inexpensive, really quite effective removal of heavy metals. When the heavy metals are removed sufficiently, the body can catch up and re-balance the candida that causes so many problems in so many people.
What is Advanced TRS?
Advanced TRS is a man-made zeolite. Zeolites are also minerals found in nature, but Advanced TRS makes theirs in a lab to ensure it is completely free of contaminants.
Zeolites are completely inert, which means they do not react or release in the body in any way. With manufactured clinoptilolite (one of the many forms of zeolite- what Advanced TRS is made from), the crystal structure forms a cage of 8-ring and 10-ring structures that have the natural ability to attract positively charged ions (such as heavy metals) and absorb them.
Zeolites absorbs and binds heavy metals
Once the zeolite has absorbed the heavy metal, which it ‘sorts’ and ‘accepts’ according to charge and size. Then the zeolite has the heavy metal bound up inside it, where it can be filtered and passed much more easily by the body’s detoxification system.
The problem with not having the heavy metals bound is that they are easily absorbed back into the body’s system before they have a chance to exit.
The first time I heard this I think my reaction was, “Um, wait, WHAT?”
Common sense disclaimer: All these terms we haven’t heard of can be intimidating, especially when it comes to giving this to your child. I did my research and I was comfortable with trying this for myself and then my child, and I really liked the results. Of course, I’m just a mom sharing her story, it is up to you to do your own research for yourself and your family. This is informational in nature and cannot be considered medical advice.
What is a zeolite?
Zeolites are microporous aluminosilicate minerals that have the ability to act like molecular sieves. Zeolites have the natural ability to sort molecules based on size as well as molecular charge. (Molecules typically carry a positive or negative charge).
Ingredients in Advanced TRS:
Advanced TRS is a liquid suspension of manufactured clinoptilolite zeolite in pure water. Advanced TRS is sized to 0.9 Nanometers mean average in size, to allow for detoxification benefits on a systemic level through absorption in all cellular systems.
At 0.9 mean nanometers, the particle size is easily able to remain in suspension in pure water. A colloidal suspension allows for particles sized so small they can remain suspended inside water molecules, providing a delivery mechanism for manufactured clinoptilolite zeolite throughout the body.
Testing is done to ensure there are no contaminants in each batch of TRS.
*not evaluated by the FDA
Studies about Advanced TRS
From the article Critical Review on Zeolite Clinoptilolite Safety and Medical Applications in vivo (link)
Other studies on detoxification properties of clinoptilolite materials in vivo performed so far have mainly been done on animals and they provide strong evidence on alleviating effects during exposure to different toxicants upon clinoptilolite supplementation.
Indeed, different studies have shown that clinoptilolite materials provide direct detoxifying performance in vivo. For instance, in lead-intoxicated mice, a clinoptilolite sorbent KLS-10-MA decreased the lead accumulation in the intestine by more than 70%
Oral consumption of this type of zeolite, due to its extreme chemical stability, in EFSA’s opinion, does not represent a potential risk for in vivo applications
Also, previously published results from trials on animals and human subjects showed a strong clinoptilolite detoxifying effect and reduction of Pb content in vivo.
Moreover, a clinical study comprising 22 human subjects evaluated the effects of clinoptilolite treatment on chronic diseases which could be traced back to heavy metal poisoning. During treatment with activated clinoptilolite from 7 to 30 days in total, both urine and blood serum were collected and tested for heavy metals and electrolytes. In this study, the daily intake of activated clinoptilolite suspension was effective in removal of toxic heavy metals from the body via urine (Flowers et al., 2009).
Another clinical study on human subjects showed detoxifying effectiveness of clinoptilolite. A total of 102 heavy-metal contaminated men were investigated and decreased concentrations of harmful metals (Cd, Pb, Cu, Cr, and Ni) were measured in their hair after a 30-day supplementation with clinoptilolite. This decrease in harmful metal concentrations was a result of the clinoptilolite detoxification function and probable restoration of the body mineral metabolism homeostasis (Zhakov, 2003). Importantly, while great danger exists in removing the physiologically important electrolytes from the serum in a classical detoxification process, this has not been observed in clinoptilolite trials both in humans and animals, where no substantial changes in physiologically relevant trace elements or vitamins were observed even after long-term administration
Will Advanced TRS bind to vitamins and minerals?
No, it has been studied throughout human and veterinary medicine and all micro (vitamins and minerals) and macro (fats, proteins) nutrients remained the same as TRS targeted heavy metals only. (source)
What if I have metal fillings?
The fillings (or artificial joints, screws, etc) are already bound and will not be affected by TRS. TRS only targets the heavy metals circulating in your body that are not bound.
What about the metals I need, like iron?
As soon as a body identifies a mineral as beneficial, the body brings in other elements to change that raw mineral to another compound (usually a salt) which effectively has a neutral ionic charge. Since it is bound, that means that the mineral is unavailable for exchange with zeolite.
For example, the body has ferritin, not pure iron. Also, the body does not have magnesium (which is very reactive and volatile) but rather magnesium citrate, calcite and so on.
Additionally, the body stores forms of minerals in ways that make it difficult for zeolites to remove them. The body only converts elements back to ionic form when the cell is ready to use the mineral. That is done within the individual cell and is a very quick process. Again, it is not conducive for removal via zeolite.
If the mineral is in excess or is for any reason not converted to a salt for use by the body, then the zeolite may remove that excess.
What medications or supplements are contraindicated to take with TRS?
Medications that contain metals as the active ingredient (such as SSRIs) should be used with precaution while also using Advanced TRS. Check with your pharmacy or prescribing physician.
Even without metals as an active ingredient, it is recommend to take TRS 6 hours away from when you take medication.
Silver, which some people use as a natural treatment (I personally only use it topically) will bind to Advanced TRS since it is a metal.
Can I take TRS on the GAPS Diet?
Dr. Natasha did not specifically address this, but many GAPS families use TRS with great results.
To avoid the ‘healing crisis‘ reaction as much as possible, I recommend the following for my GAPS families:
- Wait to start TRS until you have done Full GAPS and GAPS Intro. It is a good thing to introduce once you ‘stall’ on a stage.
- Remember your detox baths: Epsom salt, bentonite clay, apple cider vinegar to help with the symptoms associated with the bad stuff dying off.
- If the reaction is too strong, take activated charcoal internally until symptoms pass; 1 capsule every 6 hours.
- Start slower! Most people with chronic conditions that try the GAPS diet are hyper sensitive! Most of us have the MTHFR gene mutation that I talked about above, and can be easily overwhelmed by detoxification reactions. 1 drop is 1/4 of a spray, and I would start with 1 drop a day (even pushing it back to once a week depending on severity) and work your way up, just like you did with probiotics.
How do I take TRS?
TRS is easy to take. It’s always best to start slowly. Usually a difference is seen the first day, and then again 6 weeks in after consistent use.
- For adults, start with 1 spray a day, in the mouth under the tongue (see next point for children)
- It is recommended to take 6 hours away from other medications. So, if you take a medication in the morning and at night, take TRS at noon.
- TRS can be taken with food or drink. You’ll also want to make sure you’re drinking extra water as you take it to support the movement of heavy metals out through your urine. No need for extremes, just make sure you drink to thirst (at least 4 glasses of water a day)
- The recommended dose is 5 sprays per day, or 1 spray per 30 pounds of body weight.
- To detoxify a heavy metal buildup, it is recommended to continue for 5 months.
- After your symptoms have resolved, you can discontinue and let your body to its own detoxification, or you can do a lower maintenance dose of 1 spray per day. Based on all the health-benefits I have seen in the literature about TRS, I will keep my family on 1 spray per day continuing.
What precautions do I need to take using TRS with children?
Children can use TRS and greatly benefit from it. Here are a few guidelines:
- For nursing babies, the breastfeeding mother can take TRS (start with the child’s dose first) and pass it along that way.
- If pregnant, please discuss with your doctor prior to use.
- For children, the ‘recommended dose’ is 1 spray per 30 pounds of body weight. However, I would start at 1/4 that amount (1 drop is 1/4 spray) every other day and build up until you get to the recommended dose.
Where do I buy TRS?
I buy and recommend Advanced TRS available here.
You can buy one spray bottle at a time, a multi-pack, or sign up for autoship and a discount (cancel any time).
- CBD (Cannabis) Oil for Cell Healing, Inflammation, Anxiety, and More
- Is Mercury affecting your thyroid and hormones?
- Juicing for the GAPS Diet and Healing Leaky Gut
- Detoxifying & Antiinflammatory Herbed Olive Oil
- What is a Healing Crisis?
- Healing Brain Trauma with Food, Supplements, and Lifestyle (Autism, TBI, PTSD)
- The Gut-Brain Connection & Autism, ADD, Allergies, and Other Diseases
- Simple Natural Remedies: Ingesting and Soaking with Clay
- Diatomaceous Earth: What is it? How to use it.