Rich in subtle earthy flavor from 4 kinds of mushrooms, this cream of mushroom soup recipe is simple to make and absolutely swoon worthy. It is a lovely healthy alternative to canned cream of mushroom soup. We make it gluten-free, keto, paleo, and GAPS friendly by thickening just with the mushrooms themselves, which puree into a delicious thick creamy and flavorful soup.
Any mushroom your local grocery store has can be used. You want about 2 cups fresh mushrooms or 1 cup dried (find a gourmet mix of dried mushrooms here). Personally, I use portabello, oyster, shiitake, and the common white button mushrooms when I make this cream of mushroom soup recipe, since they are found at many grocery stores.
Dairy-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
Coconut milk is used to make the soup creamy, add nourishing fats, and keep this soup dairy free. The sage and black pepper keep the coconut flavor from overpowering. For a dairy-free soup, this ‘cream’ of mushroom soup is a winner for sure!
Cream Substitute in Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
You can use heavy cream in place of the coconut milk. But be careful to not bring it to a boil after the cream is added. Boiling the cream causes it to clump and changes the texture of the soup.
Swoon-Worthy Paleo Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe with Sage
This delicious mushroom soup is creamy without dairy. Use common mushrooms available in many supermarkets or change it up with more gourmet mushrooms. Suitable for GAPS, Paleo, Keto, Dairy-Free, and more!
- 2 tablespoons ghee or avocado oil
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2-3 cups fresh mushrooms or 1 to 1-1/2 cups dried a combination of portabella, white button, shiitake, oyster, or other mushrooms that are available to you
- 4 cups chicken stock make here (buy here)
- 2 cups filtered water
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage very thinly sliced, or 1/2 teaspoon dried/ground sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper or to taste
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk buy here plus a bit more to garnish if desired.
If using dried mushrooms, start by softening them. Soften dried mushrooms by covering with hot water for 5-10 minutes. Drain after softening and before adding to the onions.
In the bottom of a stock pot, melt ghee or coconut oil over medium heat and add onion.
Saute onions in oil.
Slice mushrooms and add to the onions after about 10 minutes. Continue cooking both onions and mushrooms until soft, another 10 minutes.
Add chicken stock, water, sage, bay leaf, sea salt, and pepper, keeping on medium heat.
Once the soup is simmering, lower heat to medium-low (or low on the Instant Pot Saute Function) and cook an additional 20 minutes.
Remove bay leaf.
Puree as desired with an immersion blender, or in batches in a regular blender. Pureed until smooth will yield a soup most like the canned cream-of-mushroom.
Stir in coconut milk, and cook an additional 5 minutes, or until hot. Add salt and pepper to taste if needed.
Serve, top with additional coconut milk and a few slices of sage leaves for garnish. Enjoy!
1. If you eat dairy, you can use heavy cream in place of the coconut milk. Both are delicious!
2. To use this in place of cream-of-mushroom soup in a recipe, omit water and puree well.