Six months later, I still am completely in love with my Instant Pot (read more here). One of my favorite things right now to do with it is cook meat on the bottom of the Instant Pot, then put the steamer rack in, and cook rice in a small bowl on top of the rack. Rice is forgiving in the Instant Pot (a little extra time doesn’t hurt it) and so it means that all of dinner is ready at exactly the same time, with minimal cleanup or prep. And no boiling over pots of rice on the stove. Ahem.
The rice steams and is completely separate than the chicken, which gives unique flavors, textures, and color rather than being all mixed together. The rice stays fluffy and the chicken cooks beautifully. It also cooks everything at once, with the set-it-and-forget-it ease of the Instant Pot.
Not just rice
For those on GAPS or those who don’t eat rice, both sweet potatoes and butternut squash or other hard winter squash work well with this method. I peel and cut into 1-2 inch cubes and place in the bowl on top of the trivet.
How to cook 2 things at once in the Instant Pot
- Place your pot in the Instant Pot as normal. Add your meat to the bottom, along with 1/2 cup of water so that it can come to pressure. I used Moroccan Chicken here from our Freezer Class.
- Place the Instant Pot steamer rack over the chicken.
- Place rice and water in a small heatproof bowl that will fit on top of your steamer rack and still allow the Instant Pot lid to close.
Some people say to use 1:1 dry rice to water in the Instant Pot, but I use whatever is called for (usually 1 part rice to 2 parts water) on the bag of rice and it has always been great. Rice will not increase in volume much, but allow an inch or so for expansion.
- Secure lid, and cook on Manuel for a minimum of 10 minutes to cook the rice enough, or however much longer is necessary for the meat part of your dish.
Rice can cook longer than 10 minutes, in the dish pictured I started with partially frozen chicken that required 20 minutes of cooking at pressure.
- Allow to cool to the touch, or use an oven mitt to remove rice bowl from the Instant Pot. Serve and enjoy!
Another recipe that works well for cooking two things at once is Teriyaki Chicken – either put rice or veggies on top :)
5 Delicious Keto FatBombs
Sign up to get my 5 Best Keto Fatbomb Recipes sent right to your inbox! Plus a bonus pizza recipe :)