Pecan is my dad’s favorite pie, and this version that uses honey and real butter is the best imaginable. This pie is a great gluten and grain free option to bring to holiday tables, and it makes the house smell heavenly as it bakes.
GAPS Legal Pecan Pie
Grain Free Pecan Pie, Honey Sweetened
- For the crust:
- 1 cup almond flour buy here
- 1/4 cup coconut flour buy here
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt buy here
- 2 tablespoons honey buy here
- Butter to grease pie dish
- For the filling:
- 2 cups crispy pecans recipe here
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups honey
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla buy here
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- For the crust:
- Mix all ingredients, making sure all coconut flour and almond flour clumps are broken up. Pat into a disk, and then press into a pie dish and up the sides of the pie dish, but do not go over the edge; we’re going to fill with filling all the way to the top of the pie crust so the delicate grain free crust does not burn.
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- Mix all filling ingredients.
- Once oven is preheated, put the pie crust in the oven for 5 minutes before filling to pre-cook it a little bit.
- Mix everything but the pecans, then gently stir in the pecans.
- Pour filling into crust, up to the top of the crust (it will also raise a little bit while baking). If you have any, pour extra filling into a custard cup and bake alongside the pie.
- Bake pie for 35-45 minutes or until filling is set, but still a little wiggly in the center. Bake custard cup full of extra filling for approximately 15 minutes and then remove.
- Cool pie before slicing, serve at room temperature or slightly warm.
Yes, that’s right, this pie crust does not contain fat other than what is in the eggs and almond flour. Because almond flour contains quite a bit of fat, adding extra makes the crust fall apart. The egg is used both to bind and as the liquid in the crust, and the honey also becomes solid as it bakes (like when you heat sugar to become hard candy), which holds the pie crust together.
This recipe is on Real Plans! Join Real Plans and instantly get your completely customizable menu plan each week!
5 Delicious Keto FatBombs
Sign up to get my 5 Best Keto Fatbomb Recipes sent right to your inbox! Plus a bonus pizza recipe :)