Watching the clock, I noticed … in just 18 minutes we went from walking in the door to scooping piping-hot Instant Pot gluten free mac n cheese into everyone’s bowls. A delicious home-cooked weeknight dinner that uses all real ingredients? Yes please. I especially love that it’s a one-dish meal, minimizing the amount of dishes made too.
A tradition over from my childhood, we use frozen peas to add a veggie and cool down our mac n cheese.
If you’re feeling fancy, add an additional 5 minutes under the broiler for a crispy breadcrumb top- still completely doable for a fast meal.
Looking for a lower carb version? You’ll love Keto Cauliflower ‘Mac’ and Cheese
I love this Instant Pot Mac n Cheese for a few reasons:
- It’s fast and contained. No more pasta water boiling over onto the stovetop.
- It’s truly a one-dish meal. You don’t even need to dirty a colander!
- Because you measure the liquid that cooks the pasta exactly, you can replace some of it with chicken stock and it’ll be absorbed into the pasta.
- You control the ingredients. Use the quality and type of cheese that you prefer, your own milk.
- It is inexpensive. As my children have grown, we do occasionally get Annie’s Gluten Free Mac n Cheese, but we end up using 2 full boxes and having no leftovers. This recipe makes enough for dinner tonight, and a couple thermoses full for lunch tomorrow.
Instant Pot Gluten-Free Mac n Cheese Recipe Notes:
Mac n Cheese is a favorite that can be completely nourishing while still being fast, easy, and inexpensive. We set the Instant Pot to cook for 4 minutes, but it does take time to come to pressure and for the pressure to release, so allow about 15 minutes to cook the pasta, even though I only listed 4 minutes of cook time.
Quick Gluten-Free Mac n Cheese in the Instant Pot
- 1 pound 4 cups gluten-free elbow macaroni (I have triedrice/quinoa pastaandbrown rice pasta)
- 1 cup chicken stock if you don't have chicken stock, use an additional cup of water
You can purchase delicious organic chicken stock here
- 2.5 cups filtered water
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt or 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard prepared, not powdered
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup full fat milk or cream
- 6-8 ounces cheddar cheese
- Optional: 1/4 cup gluten-free panko crumbs find here
- Mix macaroni, chicken stock, water, sea salt, mustard, and butter in the instant pot.
- Set Instant Pot to manual, 4 minutes.
- Quick release after timer goes off.
- Set to sauté/low.
- Stir in milk.
- Stir in cheese 1/4 at a time.
- Turn off heat and serve!
- Optional breadcrumb topping: Transfer after adding all the cheese to a 1.5 to 2-quart broiler-safe dish. Top with 1/4 cup breadcrumbs and broil on high for 5 minutes, or until crumbs start to brown.
Note: The top picture uses rice pasta, yellow cheddar cheese, and bread crumbs. The video shows quinoa pasta and white cheddar.