It was 18 minutes from the time I walked in the kitchen to the time that this creamy home-cooked deliciousness was scooped out into bowls. We always cool piping hot macaroni and cheese with frozen peas, a tradition I carried into my home from my childhood.
Add an additional 5 minutes under the broiler for a crispy breadcrumb top- still completely doable for a fast meal.
This macaroni and cheese is made in the Instant Pot for a quick one-dish meal.
I love this Instant Pot Mac n Cheese for a few reasons:
- It’s fast and contained. No more pasta water boiling over onto the stovetop.
- It’s truly a one-dish meal. You don’t even need to dirty a colander!
- Because you measure the liquid that cooks the pasta exactly, you can replace some of it with chicken stock and it’ll be absorbed into the pasta.
- You control the ingredients. Use the quality and type of cheese that you prefer, your own milk.
- It is inexpensive. As my children have grown, we do occasionally get Annie’s Gluten Free Mac n Cheese, but we end up using 2 full boxes and having no leftovers. This recipe makes enough for dinner tonight, and a couple thermoses full for lunch tomorrow.
Mac n Cheese is a favorite that can be completely nourishing while still being fast, easy, and inexpensive. We set the Instant Pot to cook for 4 minutes, but it does take time to come to pressure and for the pressure to release, so allow about 15 minutes to cook the pasta, even though I only listed 4 minutes of cook time.
- 1 pound (4 cups) gluten-free elbow macaroni (I have triedrice/quinoa pastaandbrown rice pasta)
- 1 cup chicken stock (if you don't have chicken stock, use an additional cup of water)
You can purchase delicious organic chicken stock here
- 2.5 cups filtered water
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt or 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard (prepared, not powdered)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup full fat milk or cream
- 6-8 ounces cheddar cheese
- Optional: ¼ cup gluten-free panko crumbs (find here)
- Mix macaroni, chicken stock, water, sea salt, mustard, and butter in the instant pot.
- Set Instant Pot to manual, 4 minutes.
- Quick release after timer goes off.
- Set to sauté/low.
- Stir in milk.
- Stir in cheese ¼ at a time.
- Turn off heat and serve!
- Optional breadcrumb topping: Transfer after adding all the cheese to a 1.5 to 2-quart broiler-safe dish. Top with ¼ cup breadcrumbs and broil on high for 5 minutes, or until crumbs start to brown.
Note: The top picture uses rice pasta, yellow cheddar cheese, and bread crumbs. The video shows quinoa pasta and white cheddar.
21 Easy and Delicious Grain-Free Meals
Curious about eating grain-free? I want to show you how easy and delicious it can be!
Try our best-selling meal plans... for free!
Just enter your information and I'll email it to you right away.