While we were at the naturopath’s a couple weeks ago, as a part of the intake questions our doctor asked me if my little one had any allergies. I started to say no because she doesn’t have any known drug allergies and then caught myself- this child is allergic to everything! After I rattled off my list (conventional crib mattresses, polyester, acrylic, synthetics in cosmetics, food additives, and more!) the doctor remarked that having that many allergies is a sign that the liver has toxins built up in it. We were at the appointment to start methyl B12 injections (more about this in another post), but I knew when I got home I’d be sure to look up how to do a liver cleanse for a child.
I remembered that Raine had posted about her liver and gallbladder cleanse a while back, but this protocol was a little intense for a small child, I didn’t think she’d do well with the fasting. Next Michele of Herbal Nurturing recommended looking into dandelion root to stimulate bile production. The increased bile production would help clean the liver because it would flush out the toxins.
The next time I was at the health food store I picked up Dandelion Root tea, which I made just like regular tea. It has a woodsy earthy taste, which I liked and my little one didn’t mind at all. To give it to her I waited until it was just luke warm and then put some honey in it and she drank it down happily.
The next day I noticed her bowel movements were much darker, thanks to the increased bile production! I love being able to see that natural remedies are working, and this was very apparent! I had actually noticed her movements were lighter colored than normal, but had attributed that to her grain free diet. Now I see that she likely had a lowered bile production, and so this increased production is a welcome change. We continue to give her the dandelion root tea every day or every other day, and I’m curious to see if she’s less sensitive to synthetic clothing and other things she had previously reacted to. I also have had many allergies, and so does my son, so we’ve all been taking the tea. My little girl is the one who really reacts to everything though, so I’m looking forward to seeing how this helps her.
Dandelion Root Tea for Gentle Liver Cleansing
- 1 quart filtered water
- 2-3 teabags or 2-3 teaspoons of loose dandelion root, dried
- 3 tablespoons honey
Bring water to a boil. Remove from heat and add tea bags. Cover and allow to steep until cool enough to drink, 20-30 minutes. Stir in honey and enjoy!
Allergies aren’t the only reason one might want to do a liver cleanse.
Signs you may benefit from a liver cleanse:
- Vitamin A, D, or E deficiency (all are produced in the liver!)
- High or low cholesterol numbers (the liver also produces and balances cholesterol)
- Hormonal problems- the liver filters out mutated hormones
- Excessive gas or bloating
- Allergies to chemicals or things in the environment
- Inability to digest fats, feeling ill after eating a high fat meal
- Blood sugar fluctuations (the liver helps regulate blood sugar along with the pancreas and adrenals)
** This is purely based on my research as a mother ~ If you have major health problems, or minor health problems that you would like to stop before they become big health problems I would encourage you to approach the problem holistically with the help of a medical professional as needed. I especially encourage you to look at how all the body systems could be involved in your health issue (digestion, thyroid, adrenals, kidneys, nutrition, mental health, etc).
- More about using dandelion root for liver health
- If you found this interesting you would be interested in Herbal Nurturing, an e-book about home remedies that are useful for families and are simple enough for us busy moms to do!
- And a great start for learning about how all the body systems work together is by reading the Gut and Psychology Syndrome Book- available here.
Natural Remedy: Dandelion Root for Liver Health and Fat Digestion
5 Delicious Keto FatBombs
Sign up to get my 5 Best Keto Fatbomb Recipes sent right to your inbox! Plus a bonus pizza recipe :)