Friday night is pizza and swimming night at our house. We make our own pizzas, then head to the local indoor pool to swim and come back and enjoy our creations. In the past we have made Meatza, and Spaghetti Squash Crusted Pizza, but they’ve both been set aside for this new favorite in our Pizza Friday arsenal!
Pizza chili is hearty, nutrient dense, and is packed with flavor and all your favorite pizza toppings. Enjoy it with a fresh green salad or homemade muffins. Pizza Chili stores well in the fridge or freezer too, so feel free to double the batch and pack leftovers in thermoses for lunches throughout the week.
Easy & Hearty Pepperoni Pizza Chili (Paleo, GAPS)
- 1 pound beef sausage recipe here
- 6 oz mushrooms
- 1 large onion
- 1 large bell pepper
- 2 cups chicken or beef stock recipe here
- 12 ounces tomato paste 2 small cans
- 1 teaspoon sea salt+ more to taste
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 oz black olives
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 ounce pepparoni
- In the bottom of a large sauce pan or small stock pot over medium heat, brown beef sausage until nearly cooked through.
- Rinse and slice mushrooms.
- Rinse and chop pepper and onion.
- Add mushrooms, bell pepper, and onion to the beef sausage and continue to brown until soft.
- Keep over medium heat and add in the chicken stock, tomato paste, sea salt, and herbs and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, and simmer for 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly, stirring every few minutes.
- To get pepperoni that is crispy, like what's on the top of pizza, fry thinly sliced pepperoni for a couple minutes over medium heat in a single layer in a skillet. Flip to brown both sides, then set aside and top chili with the crisp pepperoni.
- Spoon into bowls and top with cheese and additional fresh herbs and chopped olives if desired.
A pizza chili bar is fun for feeding a crowd. Simply set out small bowls with conventional pizza toppings (pepperoni, cheese, anchovies, pineapple, olives, etc) and then let people add their favorites to their chili!