This one-pan ‘egg roll in a bowl’ aka Crackslaw has everything you want for a delicious keto meal. It’s fast to make, packed with veggies and protein and fat, doesn’t make a ton of dirty dishes, and can be made a variety of ways.
The fish sauce and coconut aminos or soy sauce give the coveted ‘umami’ flavor that is mouth watering and satisfying. Have no fear, even those who do not like fish can’t taste the fish sauce in this recipe. I just tend to not let them see me add it ;)
Use different meats to add variety. We like beef, pork, turkey, chicken, and elk as well! Sometimes I opt to leave the carrot out, and daikon radish can be added if desired.
The dressing can also change up as needed – adding a little hot sauce (Frank’s or Tobasco) and honey to mayo makes a quick dressing. Plain mayo is also good, as is ranch dressing.
To save time, use packaged coleslaw from the store and Primal Kitchen Chili Lime Mayo thinned with a little lime juice, or just as is, as the dressing.
I often make this Crackslaw dinner on days that I meal prep. I’ll shred the cabbage in the food processor (admittedly, this does add a lot to how many dishes are made!) and then shred another cabbage for sauerkraut.
I also often whip up a batch of sausage since I have ground meat out already, and then fry it up as I brown the meat for dinner.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or bacon grease
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 tablespoon fresh grated
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 pounds ground turkey or pork, chicken, or beef, or a combination
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or 3 tablespoons coconut aminos
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce Red Boat brand, optional
- 1 pound coleslaw mix or half a green cabbage, shredded
- 5 green onions just the white and light green prats
- Optional: Sprinkle of sesame seeds toasted, a couple tablespoons
- Optional: sesame oil to drizzle on top
- 1/4 cup Chili Lime Dressing Recipe linked
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt coconut oil or bacon grease.
Once fat is melted, add garlic and ginger and sauté for a minute, until garlic starts releasing its aroma. Add in turkey, breaking it up to brown it. Reduce heat to medium if needed and brown turkey.
As the turkey browns, thinly slice the green onions, just the white and light green parts, and set aside.
Once turkey is browned, add in coleslaw mix or green cabbage and soy sauce or coconut aminos and optional fish sauce.
Saute the cabbage in with the turkey until it is wilted.
Serve from the pan, and top each serving with: Chili Lime Dressing, additional hot sauce if desired, sliced green onions, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Nutrition facts do not include salad dressing/mayo on top.
Other delicious keto and GAPS friendly meals in bowls:
- Bacon-Ranch Burger Bowls
- Make-at-Home Chipotle Burrito Bowl
- Chicken Enchilada Spaghetti Squash Bowls
- Instant Pot Taco Soup