A quick weeknight dinner that is easy to eat and you won’t miss the grains with? Yes please! We cook 3 things at once (onions, beef, and bacon), and then assemble the bowls as it is all ready. This meal provides protein in the meat, probiotics with the pickles, and lots of delicious vegetables that give it nice bright color.
If you have more time and less desire to do dishes, cook the bacon in the skillet first, set aside, then caramelize the onions in the bacon fat, set aside, and then finally cook the beef in the same skillet.
Sauces make the Meals
Loads of ranch dressing made with nourishing avocado-oil mayonnaise is really what makes this meal satisfying! We talked about how fats can stretch our grocery budget here, but they also make us feel full and satisfied longer. This is the key to healthy eating- it has to make us feel good!
Go lighter on the tomatoes and onions and heavy on the ranch dressing or burger sauce.
Bacon-Ranch Burger Bowls (Paleo, GAPS, Whole30)
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil ghee, or fat of choice
- 1.5 pounds grassfed beef find grassfed beef here
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 slices bacon find sugar-free bacon here
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 2 lactofermented pickles recipe here
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 recipe ranch dressing recipe here
- Peel and slice onions into rings. Heat a skillet over medium heat with the fat in it, then add onion rings and cook over medium-low for 15 minutes, or until turning golden.
- Meanwhile, heat another skillet over medium heat and add the beef, salt, and pepper. Break up meat and brown.
- Bake bacon (directions) or cook as desired and cool. Crumble bacon into bacon bits.
- Slice avocado and cherry tomatoes. Wash lettuce and tear into pieces, arranging in the bottom of 4 bowls for serving.
- Make ranch dressing if needed. See recipe above.
- As the meat is browned and the onions caramelized, assemble bowls in this order, or as desired: Lettuce, beef, onions, tomatoes, avocados, pickles, ranch dressing, bacon bits.
- Enjoy your burger in a bowl!
Use Burger Saucein place of the ranch dressing for another variety. Don't skip the dressings, they add needed fat to the meal, and they add so much flavor that you'll find you LOVE this healthy meal and want to have it again and again.
This recipe is fantastic for little eaters who have a hard time eating a whole hamburger patty. Browned ground meat is easier for them to chew, and it means you don't have to spend the first 5 minutes of meal time chopping up their food ;)
If you eat dairy, make this a cheeseburger bowl with the addition of shredded cheese.
5 Delicious Keto FatBombs
Sign up to get my 5 Best Keto Fatbomb Recipes sent right to your inbox! Plus a bonus pizza recipe :)