This hearty nourishing chili recipe makes for plenty of leftovers, use leftovers over the top of organic grassfed hotdogs for chili dogs for lunch the next day, or feed a crowd for dinner tonight.
Yes, the liver can be omitted, but chili is a great way to hide liver for a boost in iron and B vitamins. The chili powder, tomato paste, garlic and different textures hide the liver crumbles well. All my kids love this chili, often asking for seconds.
The toppings make the meal. If you’re dairy-free, sliced jalapeños, onions, avocado, and cilantro are fantastic toppings. If you tolerate dairy, add sour cream and grated cheddar for a warm and delicious treat.
Hearty Red GAPS Chili
Hearty & Nourishing Red Chili
- 2 pounds ground beef buy grassfed meat here
- 1/2 pound beef chicken, or lamb liver, cooked and crumbled (see below to prepare liver)
- 4 onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon or less cinnamon
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 cup navy white beans, soaked overnight (see below)
- 2 1/2 cups or more chicken stock (chicken stock recipe, or buy)
- 2 cans tomato paste or diced tomatoes purchase tomato paste in glass jars here
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon honey optional
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro optional
- Grated cheddar cheese
- Sour Cream homemade, 24-hour, recipe here
- Additional chopped onion
- Soak Liver:
- Drain any blood from thawed liver. Place in a bowl. Cover with the juice of one lemon and filtered water until the liver is completely covered. Cover bowl with lid or plastic wrap and return to the fridge. Soaking the liver removes the blood and bitterness.
- To cook, pan fry in 1 teaspoon fat (coconut oil, butter, ghee, etc) over medium heat, 5 minutes on each side. Allow to cool and crumble or chop into 1/4 inch cubes for recipe. Chicken liver is most mildly flavored, but beef and lamb are hidden surprisingly well in chili.
- Soak beans:
- Rinse navy beans in a colander, removing any rocks or debris that may be in the package. Put in a large bowl (they will swell to triple their current size) and cover with filtered water so that they are covered by an inch or more. Allow to soak for 24 hours, changing the water once during this timeperiod. This reduces the starch content of the beans and makes them easier to digest.
- Sauté beef and chopped onions in large Dutch oven or pot over medium-high heat until beef is cooked through, stirring often and breaking up beef with back of spoon, about 10 minutes. (if using a crockpot, transfer now) Add cumin, chili powder, garlic, and beans.
- Mix in 2 1/2 cups chicken stock, tomato paste, honey, and 1/2 cup cilantro. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover partially and cook 1 1/2 hours on stovetop or 6-8 hours on low in crockpot, adding more water by 1/4 cupfuls if chili becomes dry.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix remaining 1/2 cup cilantro into chili.
- Ladle chili into bowls.
- Serve, passing cheese, sour cream and additional chopped onion separately.
Instant Pot directions!
Brown ground beef using the saute function (medium or high). Proceed with the recipe, but once all ingredients have been added, place the lid on the Instant Pot, set to seal, and cook under pressure (manual) for 45 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally before lifting lid.
5 Delicious Keto FatBombs
Sign up to get my 5 Best Keto Fatbomb Recipes sent right to your inbox! Plus a bonus pizza recipe :)