Mixed up in one bowl and popped in the oven, these delicious cheesy sausage balls are sure to please in your family! A protein-rich appetizer can also make a fun finger-food dinner main dish.
Pair with lightly sauteed snow peas, a green salad, or broccoli salad for a complete dinner.
Ingredients and Equipment
When choosing ground pork, I always recommend sourcing local heritage-breed pork that is raised on its natural diet with lots of access to the outdoors. If you don’t have good pork locally, I highly recommend either US Wellness Meats, or Butcherbox for their heritage-breed pork that is sustainably raised. I didn’t think I liked pork until I tried good pork!
Bake these on a stainless steel shallow-sided baking sheet so that they can go under the broiler. I recommend parchment paper to minimize cleanup without using potentially-harmful aluminum foil.
- 1 cup pork rind crumbs can replace with almond flour if desired
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning or sage optional
- 2 teaspoons baking powder optional, helps the balls to be not so dense
- 8 ounces cream cheese room temp (strict GAPS, use dripped yogurt cheese)
- 1 pound ground pork can use ground beef if desired
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a metal baking tray with parchment paper.
Mix pork rind crumbs, cheddar, seasoning, and baking powder.
Use your hands to mix in pork and cream cheese until mixed through.
Roll into approx 1-inch balls (about 1 tablespoon of the meat mixture).
Bake on a cookie sheet on parchment at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then broil for 2 minutes on high. *do NOT broil if using glass or ceramic to bake on*
Other appetizer recipes you’ll love!
- Pigs in a Blanket
- Honey-Cocoa Roasted Almonds
- Low-Carb Meat and Cheese Platter
- Bacon-Wrapped Scallops
- Ranch Deviled Eggs