This chocolate chia pudding is surprisingly light and flavorful, thanks to the pureed apple and dates rather than heavy coconut milk as the base. Chia seeds are fun and super easy to work with – they thicken by simply absorbing the liquid in a recipe. This chocolate chia pudding is egg-free and dairy-free and is a favorite even among those without dietary limitations.
We show the pudding topped with homemade coconut milk whipped cream, a family favorite that is also egg free and dairy free.
Chia Chocolate Pudding
- Soak chia seeds in 1-1/2 cups water for 30-60 minutes, or until swelled.
- Blend apples, cocoa powder, dates, salt, and remaining 1/2 cup water in the food processor until smooth, adding 1/4 cup more water if necessary.
- Pulse in chia seeds, until evenly distributed.
- Spoon pudding into custard cups or small mason jars, cover, and store in the fridge.
- Top with coconut whipped cream if desired.
More recipes that are thickened with chia:
- Delicious Overnight Sea Salt and Caramel Coconut Chia Pudding
- Quick No-Cook Raspberry Chia Jam (GAPS, Paleo)
- Nut and Seed Keto Hot Cereal (GAPS, Keto, dairy free)
Learn how to heal leaky gut
60-page ebook of all my best GAPS Diet (Gut and Psychology Syndrome) articles all in one place.