Chocolatey, rich but light, and full of nutty goodness, these hazelnut-cocoa muffins are a cinch to whip up, and either make a delicious breakfast or can be frosted for a yummy treat! Similar to the more-popular almond flour, hazelnut flour is naturally rich and sweet, and low carb!
Further Reading: What is the Keto Diet?
These muffins have been a work-in-progress all summer, with the perfect batch coming out just in time for me to freeze and tuck in the freezer at my daughter’s classroom. We bring approved treats in for her to enjoy during class celebrations, so she doesn’t get left out.
I’ve tried this both with stevia and monkfruit with great results! You can use other no-carb sweeteners but you will need to play with the amounts. I prefer to avoid erythritol, so we use stevia and monkfruit for our homemade treats.
Ingredient Substitutions & Special Considerations
*GAPS: Use honey-sweetened chocolate chips, and yes, cocoa is allowed on GAPS unless the patient has severe digestive issues, despite being on the ‘not allowed’ list in the yellow book – Dr NCM amended this after the book was published.
Irresistible Keto Nutella Muffins (dairy-free, GAPS)
- Preheat oven to 375* F, line a muffin pan with parchment muffin linersand spray with cooking spray or add a few drops of melted coconut oil to each muffin liner.
- With a mixer, whip egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form. (you can skip this step but they won't rise as tall)
In a separate bowl mix the egg yolks, hazelnut flour, coconut oil or other fat, sea salt, stevia, cocoa powder, and dark chocolate chips.
- Once the egg whites are firm, mix in hazelnut flour mixture briefly, but until well-combined. Do not over mix as this will deflate the eggs.
- Distribute evenly over 10 muffin cups (depending on how large your eggs are, this may take up 9-12)
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
5 grams net carb per muffin
More keto treats:
Blueberry Cheesecake Fat Bombs
5 Delicious Keto FatBombs
Sign up to get my 5 Best Keto Fatbomb Recipes sent right to your inbox! Plus a bonus pizza recipe :)