Full of flavor, slightly sweet, and as spicy as you want to make it, this barbecue sauce pairs well with any meat, and is especially good with a slow-cooked roast that is pulled into shreds. We’ve been using this in the class favorite Paleo Stuffed Sweet Potatoes since last winter in the Freezer Cooking Class, and it is a staple in our home fridge.
Just like mayonnaise, pickles, and ranch dressing, when we make our barbecue sauce from scratch it becomes a health-giving food. Store bought barbecue sauce is often filled with corn syrup, artificial flavors, and preservatives. Natural versions still often use loads of sugar, and carry a hefty price tag as well.
But when we make barbecue sauce ourselves we get to use organic tomato paste, gut-healing and flavor-giving stock, real sea salt, and even fruit to sweeten. Enjoy this condiment all summer long to go with grilled meat, and again in the cooler months with pulled meat from the slow cooker or Instant Pot.
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, diced
- 3 (6 ounce) cans of tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ to 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 can of diced pineapple (20 ounces)
- Combine the white onion, garlic, tomato paste, chicken stock, mustard, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, paprika, sea salt, cayenne pepper, and pineapple in a medium saucepan.
- Mix with a fork.
- Cook on the stovetop over medium heat until simmering, stirring every few minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cover, cooking for 60 minutes.
- Puree with an immersion blender.
- Store in a quart-sized mason jar in the fridge, overnight if possible to allow flavors to meld.
Other homemade sauces
These sauces, dips, and condiments all add good things to your diet. They’re so healthy you won’t even mind if your toddler decides to sneak a few sips out of the dip container rather than use it for its intended purpose.
- Dairy-Free Ranch Dressing
- Easy Homemade Ketchup
- Coconut Dill Sauce
- Backyard Barbecue Burger Sauce
- Delicious Lactofermented Salsa
- Perfect Dill Pickles
21 Easy and Delicious Grain-Free Meals
Curious about eating grain-free? I want to show you how easy and delicious it can be!
Try our best-selling meal plans... for free!
Just enter your information and I'll email it to you right away.