The GAPS Diet doesn’t necessarily need to be bread-free. This coconut flour bread is a lovely way to fulfill the desire to serve buttered (or chia-jam smeared) bread alongside a delicious soup, make french toast for breakfast, or even make open-faced sandwiches for lunch.
This recipe produces either a sweet bread (puree in some apple sauce or date paste) or a savory bread by pureeing in onion. In any case, this coconut flour bread recipe lacks gluten so is a bit more crumbly than gluten-based bread, but it can stand in its place with a few precautions. This coconut flour bread doesn’t pack in lunchboxes particularly well (I recommend grain-free crepes for that), but it does toast deliciously!
This recipe is also found in my recent cookbook, 30 Days Grain-Free.
Coconut Flour Bread Recipe
Coconut Flour Bread Recipe (GAPS, SCD, Paleo)
- Grease 1 standard sized loaf pan or 2 mini loaf pans well with butter, ghee, or coconut oil or line with parchment paper.
- Mix all ingredients until there are no lumps.
- Pour the batter into bread pan, filling ¾ full if dividing between multiple mini bread pans.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 40 minutes for a standard sized loaf, or 25 minutes for mini loaves.
- Cooking time may vary as loaf pans vary in size; bread is done when a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before trying to remove bread from pan.
- To remove, gently run a butter knife around the outside edges, between the bread and the pan. Flip the bread pan over a plate and (hopefully) it will come out all in one piece.
- Turn right side up, slice as desired, and store, covered, in the fridge.
New to cooking with coconut flour?Read this first!
More GAPS-Legal Breads that fulfil those cravings:
- Simple GAPS Intro Stage 4 Bread
- Almond and Coconut Flour Bread (Keto, GAPS)
- Keto Hazelnut Sandwich Bread (GAPS, Dairy-Free)
- Low Carb Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins with Almond Flour